1 a burial chamber (usually underground) [syn: burial vault]
2 a strongroom or compartment (often made of steel) for safekeeping of valuables [syn: bank vault]
3 an arched brick or stone ceiling or roof
4 the act of jumping over an obstacle [syn: hurdle]
1 jump across or leap over (an obstacle) [syn: overleap]
2 bound vigorously
Etymology 1From voute (modern voûte), from voluta, a substantive use of the past participle of volvere ‘roll, turn’.
- An arched structure of masonry, forming a ceiling or canopy.
- A structure resembling a vault, especially (poetic) that formed
by the sky.
- 1985, God said, ‘Let there be a vault through the middle of the waters to divide the waters in two.’ — Genesis 1:6 (New Jerusalem Bible)
- An enclosed area covered with an arched roof, especially an underground room used for burial, or to store valuables, wine etc.
a structure resembling a vault
an enclosed area covered with an arched roof
- Finnish: holvi
checktrans-top translations to be checked
Etymology 2From volter, from a frequentative form of volvere ‘turn, roll’; later assiliated to Etymology 1, above.
- In the context of "transitive|or|intransitive": To jump or leap over (something).
- Finnish: hypätä
- Finnish: hyppy
To vault means to jump over something.
Vault may also refer to:
- Vault (architecture), any architecture arched structure forming a ceiling or roof over the casemates, galleries or other spaces
- Vault (comics), a great comic that has a setting in a underground facility. Marvel comics!!
- Vault (Fallout), underground nuclear blast shelters in the Fallout computer game series
- Vault (gymnastics), an artistic gymnastics apparatus, the standard of which changed from a vaulting horse to a vaulting table
- Vault (parkour), helps one clear an obstacle as efficient and as quickly as possible
- Vault (mathematics), a mathematical construct
- Vault (revision control system), a revision control system made by SourceGear
- Vault (sculpture), a sculpture by Ron Robertson-Swann. this poster contains such masterpeace work.
- Vault (soft drink), a soft drink
- Vault: Def Leppard's Greatest Hits (1980-1995), a Def Leppard compilation album. a great album containing much of his greatest hits.
- The Vault, a nickname of Vaught-Hemingway Stadium, on the campus of the University of Mississippi
- Vault, ex-drummer of the band Dark Lunacy
- Vault (organelle), a cellular cytoplasmic organelle
Vault or vaulting may also refer to:
- Bank vault, a reinforced room or compartment in a bank building where valuables are stored
- Burial vault, a protective coffin enclosure or an underground tomb
- Cranial vault, the space in the skull within the neurocranium
- Document vault, a storage vault to archive office documents in a temperature and humidity-controlled environment with fire suppression that will protect the media stored within
- Pole vault, an athletics event where competitors use a long, flexible pole as an aid to leap over a bar
- Utility vault, an underground storage area accessed by a maintenance hole
- Equestrian vaulting, a sport that combines gymnastics and dance on a moving horse
- Backup Vault, a safe data store where backup data preserved
vault in Norwegian: Hvelv
Caelus, Fort Knox, Highland fling, air, anabasis, and jump, apse, arcade, arcature, arch, arched roof, archives, archway, armory, arsenal, ascend, ascension, ascent, attic, azure, bank, barrow, basement, bay, beehive tomb, bend, bend back, bin, blue sky, bob up, bonded warehouse, bone house, bookcase, booth, bounce, bound, bow, box, box grave, break water, broad jump, buck, buckjump, bunker, burial, burial chamber, burial mound, bursary, buttery, caelum, camber, canopy, canopy of heaven, capriole, cargo dock, cash register, cashbox, catacomb, catacombs, cavity, ceilinged roof, cell, cellar, cellule, cenotaph, cerulean, chamber, charnel house, chest, cist, cist grave, clamber, clear, climb, climbing, closet, coffer, coin box, compartment, concameration, concha, conservatory, cope, cove, crate, crib, cromlech, crook, crypt, cupboard, cupola, curl, curve, curvet, decurve, deep six, deflect, demivolt, depository, depot, dock, dokhma, dolmen, dome, drawer, dump, elevation, embow, empyrean, enclosed space, escalade, ether, exchequer, firmament, fisc, flex, float up, fly up, flying jump, fountain, galliard, gelandesprung, geodesic dome, glory hole, godown, gold depository, grand jete, grave, gush, gyring up, handspring, heaven, heavens, high jump, hippety-hop, hold, hole, hollow, hook, hop, house of death, hump, hunch, hurdle, hutch, hyaline, igloo, increase, incurvate, incurve, inflect, jet, jete, jig, jump, jump over, jump shot, jump turn, jump up, jump-hop, jump-off, keystone, last home, lavolta, leap, leap over, leap up, leapfrog, levitation, library, lift, lifts, locker, long home, long jump, loop, lop, low green tent, low house, lumber room, lumberyard, magasin, magazine, manger, mastaba, mausoleum, money chest, monstrance, morris, mount, mounting, mummy chamber, narrow house, negotiate, ogive, ossuarium, ossuary, over, overjump, overleap, overskip, passage grave, penny bank, pew, piggy bank, pit, pole vault, pop up, pork barrel, pounce, pounce on, pounce upon, public crib, public till, public treasury, public trough, pyramid, rack, recurve, reflect, reflex, reliquary, repertory, repository, reservoir, resting place, retroflex, rick, rise, rising, rocket, rocketing up, round, running broad jump, running high jump, safe, safe-deposit box, sag, saltation, saut de basque, sepulcher, shaft grave, shelf, shoot up, shooting up, shrine, skewback, ski jump, skip, sky, skyrocket, soar, soaring, span, spout, spring, spring up, spurt, stack, stack room, stall, starry heaven, start, start aside, start up, steeplechase, stock room, storage, store, storehouse, storeroom, strong room, strongbox, stupa, subtreasury, supply base, supply depot, surface, surge, surmount, swag, sweep, takeoff, taking off, tank, the blue, the blue serene, till, tomb, tope, tour jete, tower of silence, treasure house, treasure room, treasure-house, treasury, tumulus, turn, upclimb, upcoming, updive, updraft, upgang, upgo, upgoing, upgrade, upgrowth, uphill, upleap, uplift, upping, uprisal, uprise, uprising, uprush, upshoot, upslope, upspear, upspring, upstart, upsurge, upsurgence, upsweep, upswing, vat, vault of heaven, vault up, vaulting, voussoir, warehouse, welkin, wind, wine cellar, zooming